We’re currently offering the opportunity for undergraduate
placement students to gain valuable experience and develop a number of key
skills, working in our busy Bidding and Estimating Department, at our Head
Office in Skipton, North Yorkshire and offices in Shifnal, West Midlands.
Our Bidding and Estimating teams are responsible for
securing future work for the business in a highly competitive market. The role
will involve working alongside an experienced team that will provide you with
real-life civil engineering experience, in a fast-paced business environment.
Hands-on from day one, this role will give you a real insight into the world of
work and stand you in great stead to tackle your last year at university and
What you'll do:
- Liaise with clients and stakeholders, represent the company at site visits and meetings and provide input into presentations to prospective clients.
- Put together project plans by calculating costs required to meet the client’s technical specifications.
- Participate in the success of the Pre-Qualification Questionnaire submissions to ensure a constant flow of work opportunities into the business.
- Identify and manage costing requirements, including subcontractor enquiries, supplier quotations, and company/industry benchmark costs.
- Assist with the preparation, processing and submission of bids.
- Provide technical administration support to the estimating function to ensure a successful ‘work winning’ outcome.
- The ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining a sense of humour.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines whilst juggling a number of different tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Confidence, self-motivation and a strong work ethic.
- A desire to obtain a working knowledge of a wide range of contracts.
- Good numeracy and IT skills, especially in MS Office and an ability to learn specialist software packages (e.g. using pricing software).
- The paperwork: You must be studying a full time engineering/construction/business-related degree, and be eligible to work in the UK.
Please click here for further details on our bidding and estimating placement.
What are you waiting for? Start your application today by applying online.
Still got some questions? Visit our Placements FAQs page.